Elkington & Co. was a Birmingham silverware company producing fine silverware and silver plate. The business was founded in 1815, by the uncle of George Richards Elkington (1801-65). On his uncle's death George Richards Elkington became the sole proprietor and took in his brother Henry Elkington as a partner, changing the name to G. R. Elkington & Co. The business took out patents for the plating of articles in 1836, 1838 and 1840. In 1842 a third partner, Josiah Mason, joined the firm and the name was changed to Elkington, Mason, & Co. until 1861, when the partnership with Mason was terminated.
The greater durability of electroplate together with its affordability meant that it steadily ousted pure silverware, especially for the more functional items such as tea and coffee services. The company licenced the process to a number of manufacturers, including Christofle & Cie of France.
By 1880 the company employed over 1000 workers at premises in Birmingham, and had a further 6 works. more...The company received awards at the great international exhibitions from the 1850s onwards for its excellence in artistic quality and fine design and held Royal Warrants from British Royalty including Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, Queen Alexandra, King George V, Queen Mary and King George VI. Elkington & Co. supplied plated wares to the luxury dining sections on board the Titanic and other ships in the White Star Line fleet.
By 1900 the Elkington monopoly of electroplate diminished as the original patent rights expired, and this period witnessed the enormous increase in output of other Birmingham, London and Sheffield manufacturers.
The firm operated as Elkington & Co. from 1861 until 1963 when it was acquired by British Silverware Ltd. which also had the Mappin & Webb brand. During World War II the company had stopped producing plated wares, and moved into copper refining which continued when it became a subsidiary of Delta Metals Group in 1955.
The original Elkington Silver Electroplating Works, in Newhall Street in Birmingham, became the Birmingham Science Museum in 1951, until its closure in 1997.
A sterling silver flatware service, 103pcs in fitted, oak canteen, by Elkington & Co, 1903 Birmingham (composite, matched marks set), 103 pieces in total, comprising of:, 24 ivory handle knives with stainless steel blades
Pair of silver candlesticks, mark of Elkington & Co, Birmingham, 1966, each with an urn form sconce with removable bobeche, on a fluted stem and a shaped square weighted foot, hallmarked (2), approx. Weight 1804 grams
Queen Elizabeth II sterling silver 131 piece cutlery suite by Elkington & Co shell and scroll pattern with engraved crest, 12 place setting, comprising, 3 piece carving set, 12 fish knives and 12 forks, 6 tablespoons, 11 table forks, 11 table knives, 12 so
A sterling silver gadroon edged salver, 1895/96 Birmingham, with maker's mark for Elkington & Co, the salver with serpentine gadroon and threaded rims to borders of husk form swags and centred with a bright cut rocaille decoration, raised on three
A sterling silver fluted teapot, 1899/1900 Birmingham, with maker's mark for Elkington & Co, the striking oval teapot of fluted 'Spider's Web' design, with a deep collar and domed lid with timber finial, the waisted base with a conformi
British Political History: A George V sterling silver shaped circular salver by Elkington & Co, Birmingham, 1927, with engraved presentation inscription 'To Captain David Margesson, MC., MP., by 5000 subscribing members of the Rugby Division Conser
Victorian Elkington & Co claret jug & salver. Engraved as presentation to John Lawrence hall, artiste, Liverpool Sept 9th 1875. Jug embossed with classical scenes of Fauns, Bacchus & Maenad. Salver quad footed, also embossed with classical subjects. Small
An Elkington & Co. electrotype casket, Birmingham c.1854 copy of the original made by French silversmith Alexandre Gueyton for the great Exhibition in London, 1851. The process of electroyping was a Victorian phenomenon and product of nineteenth century in
English hallmarked sterling silver Victorian Tennis trophy having a star burst patterned lid with a two crossed tennis racquets & three surrounding balls finial, above ten panels showing alternating raised patterns of Scotch thistles & Welsh sessile oaks.
English hallmarked sterling silver Edward VII ladies card case having a fold over hinged cover, a ringed chain & two internal compartments with a gilt wash interior, monogrammed 'Pr', Rd. 449639. Birmingham, 1906, maker Elkington & Co Ltd. Condition good,
A matched pair of silver coffee and chocolate pots by Elkington & Co., London 1900 and 1903, of faceted tapered form, the domed-hinged cover with bell finial, both with wood scroll handle and reeded foot, total weight 895 grams, both 18 cm high. Together w
Bishop Suter's epergne, a magnificent late 19th century silver plated epergne by Elkington & Co, the top with large engraved cut glass bowl, six smaller bowls beneath supported on stylised scroll arms with three bon-bon baskets hanging beneath, reeded balu
English hallmarked sterling silver Victorian tea & coffee pot having detail foliate raised design & ivory finials. Birmingham, 1888, maker Elkington & Co. Condition good, minor age related wear & tarnishing. Height of teapot 24 cm. Weight including finials
Edwardian Elkington & Co sterling silver beaker with raised 'National Rifle Association Semper Paratus' plaque and presentation engraving 'Parliamentary Cup Competition First Prize 1910 Won By Pte G.Gilmore Score 103', hallmarked Birmingham 1909, 10.3 cm h
A large bronze tazza, in the Elkington manner, the dish with a silvered cast roundel depicting an 18th century bucolic couple with a dog and sheep above an Empire style waisted stem of fluted form with a leaf and berry border to the circular foot and protr
A sterling silver Pillar pepper pot, 1989 Birmingham, with maker's mark for Elkington & Co, of traditional elongated pear shaped form with a waisted foot, having a pierced top and tiny finial, silver weight 90gr. Height 15 cm
An Edwardian sterling silver picture frame, 1905 Birmingham, with maker's mark for Elkington & Co, the rectangular frame with a gentle serpentine profile and crest with a vacant cartouche, pierced and pressed with sinuous scrolling foliage, birds and fruit
We do not automatically renew subscriptions, however you will be contacted prior to the expiry date and you may choose to renew if you wish.
We offer library subscriptions at competitive rates for both in-library access via IP address and off-library access through EZproxy software or similar. One subscription covers all libraries in your group.