Waterford Glass House at Waterford in Ireland was established in 1783 by two local merchants, George and William Penrose. Glassmakers were bought in from England to head the company and products made from 1783, until the business closed in 1851 due to the high Irish tax on glass, account for its fame. Waterford glassware of this period was of heavy quality, colourless and with deep wheel cut decoration.
In 1947 a new glass manufacturing company was established in Waterford based on skilled European labour and in 1951 it was taken over by the Irish Glass Bottle company and renamed Waterford more...
The earliest decanters date from the late seventeenth century and were made from blown moulded glass.
They were used to serve wine at a time when there was a move towards less formal dining procedures and the reduced reliance on servants and waiters.
The 1745 Excise Tax caused manufacturers to make decanters lighter in weight. The tax benefited the industry in Ireland where it did not apply. When the tax was repealed in 1845, a heavier gauge was reverted to.
In the second half of the eighteenth century blue, green and amethyst coloured decanters were made.
Decanters often sat on more...
89 items found:
These items have been sold, and the description, image and price are for reference purposes only.