The Argand lamp was a lamp that burned whale oil, colza, olive oil or other vegetable oil lamp and produced a brighter light than candles. It was invented and patented in 1780 by Frenchman Aimé Argand (1750 – 1803. Aside from the improvement in brightness, the more complete combustion of the wick and oil required much less frequent trimming of the wick.
Because of the weight of the oil, the reservoir was mounted above the burner, and the wick was supplied with fuel by a gravity feed.
The wick also differed from what had been previously used. It was sleeve-shaped, and set-up so that air could pass both through the centre of the wick and also around the outside of the wick before being drawn into chimney. The cylindrical chimney steadied the flame and improved the flow of air.
The Argand lamp, together with the Carcel lamp was in general use until about 1850 when kerosene lamps were introduced.
The Carcel lamp was invented by the French watchmaker Bernard Guillaume Carcel (1750–1818) to overcome the disadvantages of the Argand lamp. He invented a clockwork mechanism that that drove a small pump in the tank that fed the Colza oil from a reservoir below the burner. more...Kerosene had been invented in 1846 by Canadian Abraham Pineo Gesner (1797 –1864). His research into minerals resulted the development of a process to refine a liquid fuel from coal, bitumen and oil shale. His new discovery, which he named kerosene, burned more cleanly and was less expensive than competing products such as whale oil, colza and olive oil.
Kerosene also produced a whiter flame, and as it had a lower viscosity than the oils previously used, it could easily travel up a wick, eliminating the need for complicated mechanisms to feed the fuel to the burner.
24 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.
A large George IV gilt bronze six branch argand lamp, English, circa 1835, decorated with lion heads and scrolling mounts, with original counter weight and etched glass shades, wired for electricity, 86 cm wide, 96 cm high
A pair of 19th century patinated bronze argand table lamps, the weighted circular base below a ring turned tapering column, surmounted by an urn, with a straight arm and single burner lamp with etched glass shades, 47 cm high. Provenance: W.F. Bradshaw, Sy
An early 19th century patinated bronze twin burner argand table lamp, by Bright & Co, Bruton Street, London, the central column surmounted by an urn and issuing two curved arms (one restored) with single burners, with etched glass shades mounted on a squar
A Gothic revival patinated bronze twin burner argand table lamp, circa 1880, the architectural column with four niches, three of which are filled with female figures and one is empty, with two arms with single burners, surmounted by a large urn with flamin
A large George IV bronze argand lamp, English, circa 1825 Ensuite to the previous lot. Provenance: W. F. (bill) Bradshaw Antiques Sydney. The lion monopodi' in these lamps reflect the influence of the architect Charles Heathcote Tatham. Whilst sketching in
A three branched patinated bronze argand ceiling light, with a figure of a dancing Dionesius at the centre of three radiating cornucopia with coiled serpents and applied giltmetal mounts wired for electricity and each fitted with three candle light fitting
A George IV ormolu four arm argand lamp, the lamp decorated with gods of the river masks and acanthus leaf motifs, with a circular cast ceiling rose, large reservoir and counter weight, lacking chains and all internal piping, un-assembled 83 cm diameter
An early 19th century bronze four burner argand lamp, the circular ring issuing four single burner lamps with glass shades, each decorated with leaves and grapes, with a central twin handled urn, wired for electricity;. Height 100 cm
A pair of cast bronze argand style single burner lamps, 20th century in the manner of Thomas messenger & Sons, Birmingham, in the form of boar's heads mounted on plinths holding singjle burner lamps with etched glass shades, wired for electricity;. Height
A George IV ormolu and bronze four arm hanging argand lamp by l. Haig, London, heavily adorned with floral scrolled ormolu mounts to a patinated bronze body with gods of the river masks beneath four single burner lamps each with original frosted glass shad
An early 19th century bronze twin burner argand lamp, decorated with gilt gods of the river masks and floral mounts with a central urn and etched glass shades, wired for electricity;. Width 45 cm. Height 78 cm
A 19th century hopper figural lamp, English, circa 1810, in the form of a classical maiden holding a single burner argand lamp with etched glass shade, signed H. Hopper, London and dated 1810;. Height 127 cm
A George IV bronze three branch argand lamp, with embossed decoration and a central urn with Bacchanalian masks, the three single burners with etched glass shades, wired for electricity; 86 cm diameter. Height 125 cm
A four branch bronze and gilt bronze argand lamp English,first half 19th century, by Miller & Sons, the central ribbed bowl issuing four arms each with single burner argand lamps with etched glass shades beneath a central urn and chains, with Victorian reg
An early 19th century brass argand twin burner figural table lamp, of classical form with a female standing on a stepped base holding an urn with lion masks, issuing a pair of single burner lamps with etched glass shades;. Height 62 cm
We do not automatically renew subscriptions, however you will be contacted prior to the expiry date and you may choose to renew if you wish.
We offer library subscriptions at competitive rates for both in-library access via IP address and off-library access through EZproxy software or similar. One subscription covers all libraries in your group.