Learn about Wemyss Ware
Wemyss ware (pronounced Weems) was first produced in 1882 when Robert Heron, the owner of the Fife Pottery in Scotland, brought a group of Bohemian craftsmen to the factory, one of whom, Karol Nekola, became Heron’s master painter. Nekola died in 1915 and was succeeded by Edwin Sandland who, in turn, was succeeded in 1928 by Nekola’s son Joseph.
The name Wemyss was given to the new style of pottery in honour of the Wemyss family of the nearby Wemyss castle, who were early and enthusiastic patrons of the ware. The most outstanding feature of the ware is the free-flowing and naturalistic hand painting.
Wemyss was fired at a low temperature in order to preserve the brilliance of the underglaze colours. The body is soft and therefore prone to damage.
Wares were initially sold through Thomas Goode’s china shop in Mayfair, London. A victim of the economic depression, the Kirkaldy factory closed in 1932, and Joseph Nekola moved down to the Bovey Tracey Pottery Company in Devon, which had been producing unmarked Wemyss-style wares since c1916. more...