Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
4 item(s) found:

These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Royal Doulton Lambeth England, Harry Simeon seated stoneware Toby, model 858, height 11 cm

Royal Doulton Lambeth stoneware Simeon Toby jug Marriage day &, after Marriage, approx height 12 cm

A Doulton Lambeth polar bear Bibelot, circa: 1910-1920s, designed by Harry Simeon, a realistically moulded polar bear perched on a rocky outcrop peering into a pool, thickly glazed in modulating and drip glazed blue and grey green colours; the hand incised

A Moorcroft Simeon design squat ovid form vase. Designed by Philip Gibson. 36 cm high

.