Learn about Minton
Thomas Minton (1765 - 1836) established his pottery at Stoke-on-Trent, styled as Thomas Minton & Sons, in 1793, while in his late twenties, having previously been apprenticed and then worked as an engraver at the Caughley works, where he is credited with the design of the "Willow" and "Blue Dragon" patterns.
After initially making blue printed earthenware and then soft paste porcelain, in the 1820s the company commenced producing bone china, and this became its principal activity.
Thomas Minton died in 1836 and the business was taken over by his son Herbert Minton, and by this time had established a reputation for wares of exceptional quality. The name of the company was changed to Minton & Co.
Many of their designs were classically based and either copied from Sevres designs, or finished from blanks supplied by Sevres.
Production of parian ware figures, a white unglazed statuary porcelain resembling marble, commenced about 1841, and some of the figures were based on sculptures by John Bell, and American Hiram Powers. more...