Learn about Barsony
Barsony Ceramics, synonymous with the production of matt black coloured ceramics from the 1950s and 1960s, was an Australian ceramics manufacturing company operated by George Barsony (1917-2010) and Jean Barsony from the early 1950s to the early 1970s.
George Barsony, a sculptor from Hungary had arrived in Australia as a refugee in 1949 and shortly after, met his future wife Jean who had come to Australia from England and worked in a Sydney pottery.
Together they set up Barsony Ceramics, and the company's operations were conducted from a factory Guernsey Street, Guildford in Western Sydney from the 1950s to 1970s.
As well as manufacturing under the Barsony name, Barsony Ceramics also produced items under the Silver Cloud and Venice labels, but items under these labels very rarely come onto the market.
Decorative items produce by Barsony included candlesticks, figurines, lamp bases, ashtrays, wall hangings, bookends, figure vases, bowls etc.
Most Barsony products were marked, although there are some that have no markings. As well there are copies of Barsony products that are unmarked, and a range of similar items were made by Kalmar. more...