William Edwards was born in 1819 in London where he joined the family business and trained as a silversmith. He migrated to Melbourne in 1857 and set up a business in Collins Street, later moving to Collins Street East where sold silver wares, either made in his workshop or imported from London.
Edwards’ workshop excelled in the production of silver-mounted emu egg trophies, and is known for making the earliest surviving piece; a covered cup presented in 1859 to a Melbourne University scholar by his students. His workshop also produced a number of silver pieces, occasional gold trophies and epergnes, some of which were displayed in many international exhibitions. Edwards also completed major commissions such as the gifts for Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, which then earned him an appointment as goldsmith and jeweller of the Duke’s household.
He displayed his work at the International Exhibition in 1861, more...
15 items found:
These items have been sold, and the description, image and price are for reference purposes only.