Learn about Worcester / Royal Worcester

Among the most popular of the English porcelain factories among collectors is Royal Worcester. The Worcester porcelain company was founded in 1751.

The First Period of Worcester (1751-76) is sometimes called the Dr. Wall period after John Wall, one of the founders and major shareholders. During this period, Worcester was using the formula for soft paste porcelain which was obtained when they took over Lund's Bristol Porcelain works in 1752.

Worcester also introduced the use of transfer printing on porcelain in 1757, which reduced the need for hand painting which was time consuming and expensive.

In 1783 Thomas Flight purchased the factory for his sons Joseph & John. This period led to a change in the porcelain paste used, achieving a much better, whiter body. The style of decoration during this period became much more neoclassical in style.

In 1793 Martin Barr became a partner in the firm. As the partnership changed so did the names, Barr, Flight, Barr (1807-13), Flight Barr, Barr (1813-40).

In 1840 Worcester amalgamated with the Chamberlains' factory, also located at Worcester, but still producing from both works. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A Royal Worcester porcelain figural lamp base, circa 1908, modelled as a female lute player, model no. 143, 44 cm high

A Royal Worcester fern decorated and gilded handled table lamp

Royal Worcester Grecian water carrier lamp depicting lady carrying a vessel on her head with an amphora in her right hand on a gilt timber stand with ivory switch, brass light fitting with later glass ball shade. C.1910, height including shade 76 cm

Royal Worcester banquet lamp. Floral painted on blush ivory ground. Etched globe diffuser. Glass flue has crack. Height 64 cm

A Royal Worcester lamp base, tall two-handled baluster shape painted with fruit signed D Cox and richly gilded. Height 420 date marks

A Royal Worcester porcelain table lamp base, tall two-handled baluster shape painted with fruit signed D Fuller and richly gilded. Height 42.5 cm date marks 1957.

.