Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Doulton Lambeth, Improved bread pan, stoneware storage jar with pierced metal cover, stamped 'Doulton Lambeth', height 23 cm diameter 30 cm. Provenance: The Estate of Julie Biber

A pair of Doulton Lambeth mantel vases, inverse baluster shape with broad pan mouths, the mottled cobalt blue bodies decorated with bead and hop racemes trailing from the shoulder. Artist's marks under the base. Height 28 cm

17 piece Royal Doulton part dessert set D4784. Pan pattern, including serving bowl, sandwich plate, five plates, 7 bowls, cream jug, sugar bowl & teapot.

Antique Doulton Lambeth vase, decorated in Sgraffito showing figures of Astrologia & pan. By Mary Atkin & Barlow impressed mark for 1879, approx 19.5 cm high

A Doulton Lambeth ewer vase by Eliza Simmance, ovoid shape with short tapering neck, a mask of Pan modelled below the rim, the body heavily decorated with foliate panels, sculptural carving and beading. Dated 1875 and with artist's marks for Simmance (act.

A Royal Doulton stoneware jug, decorated with Egyptian figures in relief in cream on a pan ground, the rims and base in a chocolate brown, the spout in the form of a Pharoah mask. 8 x 12 cm

Four Royal Doulton cabinet plates, a 'Gibson Girl' plate, 'Failing to Find Rest and Quiet in the Country She Decides to Return Home', copyright 1901 by life Publishing Co., printed signature; one painted with roses within a pink and gilt ground, indistinct

Royal Doulton 'Pan' pattern tete-a-tete marked D4784, consisting of a teapot, sandwich tray and a pair of cup, saucer, plate sets (teapot height-15 cm

A Royal Doulton 'Pan' Series Ware teapot bowl, sugar bowl and cream jug. Pattern D4784 teapot. Height 17 cm.

.