Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Royal Doulton 'Straneally castle' handpainted vase signed by the painter John Hugh Plant, 17.5cm high approx

A Royal Doulton painted baluster vase with gilded shaped rim and foot. Strancally Castle, signed J.H. Plant, circa 1905. Height 16 cm

A Royal Doulton two handled vase, cylindrical shape, painted with an extensive landscape and rural house by J. H. Plant, gilded embellishment to the handles. Height 21.5 cm

A fine Royal Doulton cabinet vase hand-painted by John Hugh Plant (act. 1902 - 1920), compressed ovoid shape raised on a footed plinth base, painted with a panel with an Italian scene 'St. Giulio, Lake Orta', within gilt enriched borders on a pink ground.

A Doulton vase hand-painted by John Hugh Plant (act. 1902 - 1920), of hexagonal inverse baluster shape, decorated with a landscape with a lakeside castle, the conforming hexagonal neck with raised gilt designs over a 'Bleu du Roi' ground. Signed. Height 21

Two Royal Doulton hand painted demitasse cups and saucers, one with a scene of Ross Castle, signed J.H. Plant, the other of Aberfoyle and Dover Castle, signed C. Hart

Good hand painted Royal Doulton lidded jar decorated with a country cottage scene on one side, and forest scene on the other. Painted & signed by John Hugh plant, c:1920

Royal Doulton 'Grand Canal Venice' hand painted cabinet plate signed J. H. Plant

Royal Doulton 'San Giorgio Venice' hand painted cabinet plate signed J. H. Plant

A Royal Doulton vase and cover, deep blue painted john plant, with a cartouche of Ross Castle signed J. H. Plant on deep with gilt decoration and a domed cover with gilt finial 13 cm high

A Royal Doulton vase of ovoid form with painted continuous landscape of Chepstow Castle. Painted and signed by John Hugh Plant lower right. Shape number 1032. Height 18 cm

Royal Doulton handled goblet continuous hand painted bowl elevated on pedestal base, Dunster Castle signed J. H. Plant 27.5 cm height (one handle restored)

.