Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A Royal Doulton 'Blue Children' vase, tapering cylindrical form, decorated with women in snowstorm with fur muffs, printed marks to base, professional restoration to rim. 10 x 33 cm

A Royal Doulton 'Blue Children' vase, of tapering cylindrical form with trumpet mouth, gilded handle to each side at neck, scene of a woman in a snowstorm, gilded embellishment to rim and base, professional restoration. 11.5 x 25 cm

A Royal Doulton 'Blue Children' vase, bottle form, with scene of girl with doll talking to a frog, gilt embellishment to rim and base, professional restoration. 11 x 25 cm

A Royal Doulton 'Blue Children' vase, tapering ovoid form with round spreading foot, decorated with a woman with child, professional restoration to top and base. 7 cm x 24.5 cm

Five Royal Doulton plates from 'The Professional' Series, 'The Doctor,' #D6281; 'The Mayor,' #D6283; 'The Hunting Man,' #D6282; 'The Parson,' #D6280; and 'The Squire,' #D6284. Diameter 26.5 cm

A set of nine Royal Doulton 'The Professional' Series rack plates introduced 1909 each with polychrome decoration

.