Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
3 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A Royal Doulton Nursery Rhyme Series Ware trio. 1937-38 period, pattern D5187. And based on the original paintings by William Savage Cooper (1863-1943), the gently lobed trio comprising a cup with an associated saucer and plate, each with transfer designs

Royal Doulton 'Little Boy Blue' (1950-1973), Designer L. Harradine. Series 1 Nursery Rhymes

Royal Doulton 'Curly Locks' (1949-1953), figurine HN2049, Designer M. Davies. Series1 Nursery Rhymes

.