Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Seven Royal Doulton 'Maori Art' tea ware pieces, includes two cups, hairline cracks, three saucers, one with chip and two plates.

Royal Doulton Maori art, side plate, hand painted with a Kowhaiwhai design in red and black on a yellow ground. Diameter 17.5 cm

Rare Royal Doulton Maori Art, oversize cup and saucer, hand painted with a kowhaiwhai design in red and black on a yellow ground

A Royal Doulton 'Maori Art' cake plate and side plate. Diameter of cake plate 22 cm

A Royal Doulton Maori Art tea set, comprising teapot, creamer, sugar, cake plate and six cups, saucers and plates.

A Royal Doulton Maori Art plate with transfer print of a woman and child in the centre of traditional Maori design borders, yellow ground. Width 26 cm

.