Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Two complementary Royal Doulton patterned rack plates, circa 1910-1930s, patterns D3087 and D5294, a patterned Islamic plate and a floral series plate in the style of a Gothic rose window, both in maroon, blue and lemon colours; with backstamps and pattern

A fine signed Royal Doulton cabinet plate, 1922-1927 period, signed E. Wood (Edwin), the scalloped plate with a central floral bouquet of roses, aquilegia and others within a deep lavishly gilded border enclosing three shaped reserves with similar floral e

Royal Doulton 'Wild Rose' charger also known as 'Roses G', is a rich hand painted 'Impasto' floral design with vibrant colours on a blue ground. Condition good, minor wear diameter 34.5 cm

A Sixty one piece Royal Doulton dinner service 'Rondelay' pattern H 5004 a setting for eight in white with a floral green band, comprising soup bowls, dinner, entree and side plates, cups and associated saucers, sweet or cereal bowls, a lidded tureen, crea

Royal Doulton baluster vase, with blue floral decoration, 35 cm high

Two tier cake stand with Royal Doulton plates, with floral decoration, 32 cm high approx.

7 piece Royal Doulton Sandwich set. Floral design with gilt trim H3768. Height 37 and 68 cm

Five vintage Royal Doulton trios three with floral pattern designed by P. Curnock

A Royal Doulton octagonal sugar bowl with floral decoration, 20th century. 10 cm wide

Three Royal Doulton floral and geometric pattern plates and jug. Plate: 26.5 cm wide Jug: 15 cm high.

A group of three demitasse and saucers, circa 1940, comprising an Ansley cup and saucer with sterling silver mount and handle, a crescent cup and saucer with sterling silver mount and handle and a Royal Doulton cup and saucer. All decorated with roses and

Royal Doulton hand painted floral brooch with gold rim, circa 1910

A Royal Doulton display plate French floral display plate and five Royal Doulton coffee cups and saucers

A Royal Doulton floral display and four collectors china thimbles

.