Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Royal Doulton 'Countryside' pin dish and a 'Haverfordwest' vase (2)

Pair of Royal Doulton 'Countryside' vases, approx 11 cm each

Pair of Royal Doulton English Cottages vases, approx 14 cm high each

A Royal Doulton Series Ware 'Countryside' vase, 1902 - 1922, design D3647, a vase of compressed form with a broad cylindrical neck and two bracket handles with a continuous 'Countryside' scene of cottages in a village in sepia suffused tones of russet, gre

Royal Doulton octagonal pudding bowls (1937), comprising the following series, 'Rustic England', 'Country scene', 'English Cottages', 'Sir Roger de Coverley', each 21 cm and in superb condition. (4)