Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A rare Doulton mouse group by George Tinworth, celebrating the 'Gunpowder Plot', depicting a central mouse representing a behatted Guy Fawkes carrying a lantern, seated between two supporting characters; the domed plinth base inscribed: 'I see no reason, w

A Doulton Lambeth stoneware Saltglazed water jug, 1880, designed by George Tinworth, Doulton artist 1866-1913 period of tall tankard style, in a rich turquoise green upon a mottled amber ground with an incised and jewelled foliate and floral design through

Doulton Lambeth and silver mounted wine jug and two matching beakers. Maker George Tinworth. 25 cm high.

A Doulton Lambeth silver mounted glazed stoneware mug designed by George Tinworth, 1882 with six oval medallions depicting cricketing feats on a brown glazed ground, the handle in the form of tied bats, shoes, hats and a ball, silver mount Sheffield 1882,

A Doulton Lambeth glazed stoneware waterjug decorated by George Tinworth, 1880, with brown and green scrolling leaves and flowerheads, inscribed initials to the glaze for George Tinworth and for Annie Gentle to the base, impressed factory mark and date, 25

A Royal Doulton mouse chess piece, a King, designed by George Tinworth, circa 1900, inscribed monogram TG, indistinct impressed marks, 8 cm high

A Doulton Lambeth glazed stoneware bag of carpenter's tools, deigned by George Tinworth, inscribed monogram for Emily Baker, impressed factory marks, 13 cm wide

Doulton Lambeth George Tinworth terracotta relief, the release of Barabas in preference to Jesus. Inscribed with Scripture, and signed by the artist. Several chips and cracks. Airdried terracotta. 14 x 32 cm. (plaque only)

A Doulton Lambeth terracotta plaque 'Elieze the Servant of Abraham Putting the bracelets on Rebekah', by George Tinworth, circa 1880, incised artist signature and monogram, with 'Doulton Lambeth', restoration. Height 33 cm. Width 52 cm

A large and impressive Doulton Lambeth terracotta plaque 'The Judgement of Solomon', by George Tinworth, circa 1880, incised mark and artist monogram, damage to lower right corner. Height 43 cm. Width 94 cm