Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
4 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Pair early Royal Doulton hand painted vases. 'Flora' & 'Harrington'. Original handwritten DOULTON & CO LTD paper labels to underside of each marked 'Leslie Johnson'. Height 21 cm

A Doulton Burslem porcelain lidded vase 19th century, signed Leslie Johnson ovoid, painted with a young nymph in a landscape, flanked by loop handled raised on a square foot, gilt highlights, conforming dome lid, printed factory mark. Height 27 cm

A Royal Doulton vase by Leslie Johnson, decorated with a gilded oval cartouche showing a portrait of William of Orange, reserved on an ivory ground; printed, painted and impressed factory marks; 22. 5 cm high

A Doulton Burslem porcelain vase signed Leslie Johnson circa 1900, cylindrical with a gilded rim and foot painted with a maiden in a garden landscape printed factory mark entitled Waiting. Height 29 cm.

.