Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
3 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A Royal Doulton 'Blue Children' vase, the moon vase on four gilded floral over blue feet, the same decorated to the narrow side panels and rim, one side decorated with a mother and daughter in garden, the other decorated with a young woman sitting on the q

A pair of Royal Doulton vases, circa 1890, signed W. Brown, the baluster shaped vases painted with scenes of Conway and Rhuddan Castle in muted tones with cobalt blue and gilt floral bases. Notes drilled for lamps. Height 27 cm

A large Royal Doulton vase by W. Brown, circa 1900, the tall baluster vase painted and gilt with pink peonies on an ivory ground, flanked by loop handles; printed and impressed factory marks;. Height 47 cm

.