Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
4 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Mintons pate-sur-pate vase angel & cherub, signed Birks, 19 cm high approx.

Minton pate sur pate cabinet plate, Birks, H2144, approx 26 cm diameter

A Minton's porcelain Pate sur Pate plate, painted by Alboin Birks circa 1910, with panels of classical maidens playing with putti and playing musical instruments, signed and initialled, gilt mark and retailers mark from Tiffany & Co, 20 cm diameter. Proven

Bryan Newman, rare composite sculpture, constructed from numerous thrown shapes. Earthenware with tin, iron and yellow glazing. Some minor damage, 300 x 18 cm. a similar example illustrated in Art of the modern Potter by Tony Birks p.66-67.

.