Learn about Royal Doulton History

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery. He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.

He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery

John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items. Many glazes and decorative effects were developed including faience, impasto, silicon, carrara, marqueterie, chine, and rouge flambe.

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels. The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.

Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A Doulton Lambeth pate-sur-pate vase, by Florence Barlow, baluster form, the body with four circular cartouches decorated in relief with pairs of birds, rosette repeating border to each, blue glaze sgraffito Art Nouveau scrolling leaf decoration to the mot

A Doulton Lambeth tall baluster vase exquisitely decorated with birds and reeds by Florence Barlow A/F

Circa 1900 Florence Barlow Doulton Lambeth glazed stoneware vase. Inscribed sun and floral decoration. Inscribed 'Fb' to base. Height 34 cm

Doulton Lambeth hand painted tile, macaw and Manakins.' signed and monogrammed - Florence Barlow?, 38 x 25.5 cm

A Royal Doulton fat bodied stoneware vase, with six plain opaque green glaze panels and slip trailed pearl wave pattern shoulders. Impressed mark with initials for Florence Barlow, circa 1905. Note: lozenge kiln fault to one panel. Height 15 cm

.