Learn about Carlton Ware

The Carlton Ware works were set up about 1890 by James Frederick Wiltshaw, James Alcock Robinson & William Herbert Robinson in Stoke-on-Trent, and Carlton Ware was adopted as a trade name in 1894.

About 1890 the company introduced its "Blush Ware" range, with floral designs on delicate pastel coloured backgrounds, sometimes with gilded additions.

In 1911 the partnership was dissolved and James Frederick Wiltshaw became the sole proprietor.

During the 1920s, the company became known for its Art Deco lustre wares, which command high prices today.

Many of the patterns were of imaginative geometric and stylised floral designs, some using Egyptian and oriental influences, such as the highly collectable ‘Tutenkahmen’ and ‘Mikado’ ranges.

The "Handcraft" range introduced in 1928 offered modern freehand painted designs with matt glazes which distinguished them from other manufacturers of the time using similar designs. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Carlton Ware, wall charger, pattern no. 3663, hand painted with flowers on a black ground, with printed factory mark to base 'Carlton Ware made in England trade mark' and numbered, diameter 35.5 cm

A Carlton Ware 'New Stork' charger, circa 1938, pattern 4283, with design attributed to Irene Pemberton, depicting three cranes standing in water reeds beneath stylised trees with tracery like curtains of foliage jewelled with colours upon an unusual spong

A Carlton Ware 'Rouge Royale' charger, circa circa 1952-1962, decoration pattern 2727, in 'New Mikado' with Chinoiserie designs in colours of flowering trees and pavilions upon a 'Rouge Royale' lustre ground, the rim with fine tracery patterns of lingzhi m

A Carlton Ware charger, circa 1938-1942, the shallow platter with flattened rim displays the new Stork pattern number 4280 on a mottled lustre ground, black factory mark to base and with further hand painted notations, 37 cm diameter.

A Carlton Ware rouge Royal platter, circa 1930, with gilt borders that swirl towards the centre decorated with painted gilt grape vines, signed to the base with original paper label. Length 29.5 cm. Width 19.5 cm