Learn about Carlton Ware

The Carlton Ware works were set up about 1890 by James Frederick Wiltshaw, James Alcock Robinson & William Herbert Robinson in Stoke-on-Trent, and Carlton Ware was adopted as a trade name in 1894.

About 1890 the company introduced its "Blush Ware" range, with floral designs on delicate pastel coloured backgrounds, sometimes with gilded additions.

In 1911 the partnership was dissolved and James Frederick Wiltshaw became the sole proprietor.

During the 1920s, the company became known for its Art Deco lustre wares, which command high prices today.

Many of the patterns were of imaginative geometric and stylised floral designs, some using Egyptian and oriental influences, such as the highly collectable ‘Tutenkahmen’ and ‘Mikado’ ranges.

The "Handcraft" range introduced in 1928 offered modern freehand painted designs with matt glazes which distinguished them from other manufacturers of the time using similar designs. more...
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Carlton Ware 'Spider's Web' coffee service comprising a coffee pot, lidded sugar bowl, creamer & six coffee cups & saucers decorated with spiders web cobwebs with fruiting berries, harebells & dragonflies to a pale green lustre ground. Condition fair, subs

An early W. & R. Carlton Ware 'Grecian figures' tea pot and stand, circa 1896, decoration pattern 604, registration number 289951'sprigged-Ware' in alternating bands of grey-green tones divided by gilt lines, the spreading cylindrical body applied with a c

A Carlton Ware 'Tumbling Clowns' novelty teapot, circa 1960-1970, the teapot fashioned in the form of two jolly clowns, one upside down with each others shoes forming the handle and spout respectively. Stamped to base. Height 23 cm

A Carlton Ware, Australian design, Primula pattern tea service for two, Consisting of: one teapot; two teacups; two saucers; one jug; one sugar bowl

.