Learn about Carlton Ware

The Carlton Ware works were set up about 1890 by James Frederick Wiltshaw, James Alcock Robinson & William Herbert Robinson in Stoke-on-Trent, and Carlton Ware was adopted as a trade name in 1894.

About 1890 the company introduced its "Blush Ware" range, with floral designs on delicate pastel coloured backgrounds, sometimes with gilded additions.

In 1911 the partnership was dissolved and James Frederick Wiltshaw became the sole proprietor.

During the 1920s, the company became known for its Art Deco lustre wares, which command high prices today.

Many of the patterns were of imaginative geometric and stylised floral designs, some using Egyptian and oriental influences, such as the highly collectable ‘Tutenkahmen’ and ‘Mikado’ ranges.

The "Handcraft" range introduced in 1928 offered modern freehand painted designs with matt glazes which distinguished them from other manufacturers of the time using similar designs. more...
3 item(s) found:
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

A set of three Carlton Ware Guinness toucan wall plaques

Carlton Ware, red Devil plaque, diameter 34.5 cm (limited edition of 100)

A Carlton Ware Oriental Inspired Lustre wall plaque depicting a crane in flight and a fir tree, both painted in bright enamels and gilt against blues and black painted foliage on a graduated green to bronze lustre ground. Diameter 32.5 cm