Learn about Edward Fischer

Edward Fischer Edward Fischer (1828-1911) migrated to Australia from Vienna in the early 1850s, and settled into business as a jeweller in Geelong, which at that time was an important commercial centre particularly for the export of wool. It was a very prosperous centre attracting many watchmakers and jewellers, as no doubt there were many well-to-do clients. Fischer was an important jeweller in the town, producing outstanding quality silver and gold wares, indeed, he was commissioned to manufacture the first locally produced Melbourne Cup, and became well known for his design and craftsmanship in producing the Geelong Racing Clubs presentation cups from 1873 to 1890. He was also a quality producer of silverware for Kilpatrick & Co. and Walsh Bros. of Melbourne. In 1891 Fischer sold his business and left Geelong, relocating to Collins Street, Melbourne, where he traded as E. Fischer and Son, Manufacturing Jewellers, Watchmakers and Opticians. Apparently the business was managed by his son Harry. Edward Fischer died in 1911, but the business continued until about 1916. Jewellery by Fischer is marked FISCHER or E. FISCHER, GEELONG.
These items are not for sale and the descriptions, images and prices are for reference purposes only.

Australian silver serviette ring, marked E. Fischer Geelong

Large Victorian sterling silver greyhound trophy, Second Angas Cup, stamped W. Bros for Walsh Brothers, Retailers attributed to Fischer of Geelong c.1880

Silver Christening mug by Edward Fischer, modelled in typical form with applied rectangular handle and a body decorated with vacant cartouche inside fern leaves. Marks: E Fischer/ Geelong/ Strlg.silver ref JBH no 115. Weight: 195 grams. Height 9 cm. Proven

Silver sugar bowl by Edward Fischer, with serrated edge, fixed shaped and engraved handle resting on ball feet, dedicated to Rc bell/ 1880. Marks: Fischer/ Geelong/ Strlg. Silver to base and handle, ref: Jbh no 115. Height 13 cm; weight: 275 grams. Provena

Silver claret jug for Kilpatrick & Co. of simple baluster form, the hinged cover with kangaroo and grape leaf finial and a ropetwist handle, engraved to the front with the arms of Victoria, a hatched shield incorporating the Southern cross, flanked by maid

An Australian silver presentation piece by Edward Fischer, Geelong, circa 1884, the central palm tree between a pair of bean pod and silver urns, one inscribed with, the initials 'GM' and the other with a hand holding a dagger, on an oval base with leaf en

A silver chess trophy and cover signed E. Fischer, Geelong, circa 1880, the baluster body engraved with a cartouche of two gentleman playing chess, cast with entwined serpent handles and raised on a knopped standard, the cover cast with a knight chess piec

A silver covered trophy cup, 'The Leash Cup' by Edward Fischer, Geelong, circa 1925, the circular foot, knopped stem and ovoid body decorated with classical scrolling foliate motifs, the finial modelled as a coursing dog, inscribed 'Adelaide Plumpton Cours

An Australian silver chess trophy and cover by Edward Fischer Geelong circa 1880, the ovoid body centred by an engraved vignette showing two gentlemen playing chess beneath leaf tip borders flanked by foliate cast scroll handles rising to a domed cover sur

An Australian silver claret jug, by Fischer, Geelong, circa 1880, the ovoid body on a shallow trumpet foot with girdled neck and moulded rim spout, hinged lid and scrolled looped handle, the foot plain with a band of Greek key engraving, the body profusely

.